Friday, November 8, 2013

Technology

Our School Improvement Team has decided that increasing teacher use of technology should be our 2 year improvement goal. The past 2 years of my teacher life have been spent trying to utilize superfluous technology for the sake of my evaluation. Notice, I did not say for the sake of my students. To be honest, they know more about technology than I do, and I consider myself to be pretty advanced. So really, incorporating the technology is more of a nod to their abilities and a dog and pony show for my administrators. That is why I chuckled when I read these words in my book today:

"Are LCD projectors, laptops and PowerPoint slides educational technology? They weren't created as such. Laptops were created for rich company executives, Microsoft wrote PowerPoint for corporate presentations, and LCD projectors were invented for corporate boardrooms" (BTHITW 162).

The book goes on to explain that corporate salesmen convinced the schools to adopt these devices.

No comments:

Post a Comment