I finished my reading the book today and was pleased to comforted about the possibility of using self-constructed learning in my classroom. It really works if you can frame it correctly. I feel that it may be the most efficient method of teaching because the student is the only who truly understood their own deficiencies.
There are flaws with this method, but that can be said of any method of instruction. Teaching is an art form, not a formula. I am so happy to know that there is another method out there for me to try and improve upon - a method that fosters student leadership. I think I had gotten to a place where I felt as if I was hearing the same methods of instruction over and over again, so this method is refreshing and much welcomed.
I do not mind that this method will take me out of my comfort zone, or that it will require me to release control. It is actually a little comforting to have more control placed in the hands of my students so that they can begin to learn how learning works in the adult world. We choose what we will learn, why we will learn it, and how we will learn it. I am thankful for this real-world method of instruction.
I will continue to research ways to implement SDL in high school classrooms so that I can find ways to harness the potential of this style in my classroom. I know there are flaws, but I am ready to tackle them and ready to offer my students the respect they deserve in allowing them to structure their learning in the way that will benefit them most. I will still have to struggle with motivating the unmotivated, but at least they have choice this time!
No comments:
Post a Comment